Candidate for Whepstead & Wickhambrook
Mary is standing for the West Suffolk District seat of Whepstead and Wickhambrook in the forthcoming election on 2nd May 2019.
Suffolk born and bred, Mary trained as a journalist on the East Anglian Daily Times before she became a political correspondent at Westminster. She returned home to Suffolk in 2004 and soon became involved in her local community leading the campaign to save and upgrade the village hall.
County Councilor for Clare & Deputy Leader of Suffolk County Council
Mary was re-elected to Suffolk County County Council to represent the Clare division in 2017. She served for two years as Assistant Cabinet Member of Highways, Transport, Flooding and Planning, chairing a Committee that established the guidelines for 20 mph zones and for changing speed limits across the county. In 2015 she was appointed Chairman of the Council's Scrutiny Committee. In 2018 she was elected Deputy Leader of Suffolk County Council.
We asked Mary some personal questions and this is what she said,
- If you could witness any event, what would it be? The first meeting of Theresa May and Angela Merkel with Donald Trump. I have high expectations that these two exceptional women will keep him firmly in his place and he won't even realise what's happening.
- If you could have an experience of your choice, what would it be? Walking the Great Wall of China
- Favourite fictional character? Dorrigo Evans, Australian surgeon and soldier from Richard Flanagan's haunting The Narrow Road to the Deep North. Not sure I'll ever summon up the courage to read this extraordinary book again but I will always remember its hero.
- What is something you are really bad at? Whistling
- If you could have any super power, which one would you choose? Healing
- What is your favourite country? Britain
- If you were a Star Wars character, which one would you be? Princess Leia, as long as I could get rid of the curled up plaits.
- What do you want people to know about you? What you see is what you get: I am straightforward and uncomplicated
- How would you like to be remembered? With a smile
- What’s your favorite TV show? A tie between Great British Bake Off and Happy Valley.
- Who would you choose to play you in a film of your life? Meryl Streep
- What’s your favourite quote? "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again." My Scots heritage and upbringing runs very deep so it is impossible to do this without a nod to Robert The Bruce, 1314, Bannockburn and all that.
- Famous person living or dead you’d like to meet? Charles Dickens
- What is your favourite biscuit? Oatcakes
- What is your favourite food? Breakfast.
- If you could hang one painting in your living room, what would it be? A Suffolk Child, it's a very small water colour sketch by John Constable of a young girl. It's in the V&A and not always on display...I would love to repatriate it to Suffolk.
- What song would be the soundtrack to your life? The Proclaimers 500 Miles
Mary joined the Executive of West Suffolk Conservative Association as a County Council representative in 2013 and was elected Chairman in 2014.