Councillor for Newmarket North
Robin is councillor for the West Suffolk District seat of Newmarket North.
Robin has his own business helping local government and public services to modernise and cope with the challenges of the 21st Century life. He is Deputy Leader of Forest Heath District Council and one of two County Councillors representing Newmarket. He is also a former Mayor of Newmarket. Over the years he has worked hard in these roles to attract new business and investment, protect racing and the environment, provide the housing residents need and strengthen families and communities.
Robin is a former Town Mayor and was a candidate in the May 2010 General Election. He is a church member, a former governor of Paddocks Primary School and West Suffolk College and a founder of the Newmarket Festival CIC. His wife works with a leading equine veterinary practice in Newmarket. In his spare time he enjoys playing football, reading, running and walking his dog on Newmarket Heath.
County Councillor for Newmarket and Red Lodge
Robin Millar was successfully elected as the County Councillor for Newmarket and Red Lodge division in a by election in February, 2016 and he was re-elected in May 2017.
We asked Robin some personal questions, and this is what he said...
- If you could witness any event, what would it be? Wales winning the World Cup at the Millennium Stadium – but probably best I don’t mention who we beat in the final!
- If you could have an experience of your choice, what would it be? Being a father
- Favorite fictional character? I don’t really have any fictional heroes or role models
- What is something you are really bad at? Probably paperwork – I have learned to do it but it is my least favourite task
- If you could have any super power, which one would you choose? Being able to say exactly the right thing at the right time
- What is your favourite country? Has to be the home nations – so diverse, so old, layers upon layers of history and interest and passion
- If you were a Star Wars character, which one would you be? Has to be Chewbacca – I can do a passable impression of a Wookie
- What do you want people to know about you? My motives for being involved in local politics
- How would you like to be remembered? Someone who helped people see a bigger picture of themselves
- What’s your favorite TV show? The West Wing – has never been matched in my opinion
- Who would you choose to play you in a film of your life? No-one would want to make or watch a film of my life!
- What’s your favourite quote? Lots! One I have been thinking of recently is “Plant trees whose shade you will never enjoy."
- Famous person living or dead you’d like to meet? The Apostle Paul – he saw a movement grow from one small group in one country spread right across the known world and still shapes the world thousands of years later
- What is your favourite biscuit? Fig Newtons
- What is your favourite food? Anything my wife cooks
- If you could hang one painting in your living room, what would it be? Any of Kyffin Williams’ landscapes or figures
- What song would be the soundtrack to your life? I have never understood how to answer this question.